To increase the chances of preserving the fertility of your husband, he can undergo sperm freezing, a widely-used fertility preservation technique wherein a man’s sperm is kept frozen in storage for future use. Through sperm cryopreservation, you and your other half don’t have to worry about circumstantial issues such as being away from each other for long periods of time or health conditions.
Now, before he undergoes the process of freezing his sperm at an IVF clinic in Davao City, he should maintain a healthy diet first. Although it won’t magically make those swimmers supercharged, it does help maximize your chances of storing away a healthy batch of sperm. If you don’t know where to begin with what food he should and should not consume, here’s a guide that will surely help you both.
Eat and drink these!
- Oysters – Although more widely known as an aphrodisiac, oysters are actually great sources of zinc, which helps in sperm production. Incorporating oysters into your daily meals every now and again can help improve the strength of your sperm cells.
- Walnuts – This type of nut is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts help increase the production of sperm and boosts the flow of blood in the body. One good thing about walnuts is that it can be integrated on your meals especially during breakfasts and snacks.
- Bananas – Studies have shown that bananas regulate sex hormones called bromelain. It also contains vitamins C, A, and B1, which boosts men’s ability to produce sperm.
- Sardines – Just like walnuts, sardines and other seafood are also good sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. Consuming sardines improves the quantity and quality of sperm cells.
- Garlic – This strong-smelling wonder produces allicin and selenium. What are those? Allicin enhances blood flow and protects the sperm from damage, while selenium improves sperm motility.
- Fried Food – Although fried delights are very irresistible, for men who will undergo sperm freezing, it’s best that these be avoided. According to research, men who eat more fried food than those who do not tend to have lower sperm count.
- Soy Products – According to a study, excessive consumption of soy products lead to lesser concentration of sperm in the semen. So prior to your sperm cryopreservation, take a break from soy milk and other soy-derived products.
- High-fat Dairy Products – Based on research on men between the ages 18-22, high-fat dairy products such as whole milk, cream, and cheese contributes to a decrease in sperm motility. It’s also connected with the sperm’s shape abnormality.
Besides a healthy diet, exercise and a good state of mental health also help the overall well being of a person before undergoing sperm freezing.
For more questions about fertility, please visit IVF Davao today. You can also check out our Facebook and Instagram pages for quick info on everything related to fertility and IVF!