The first successful egg freezing or oocyte cryopreservation pregnancy was reported in 1986 by Dr. Christopher Chen of Singapore. Decades after that, this form of assisted reproductive technology (ART) has been advancing drastically, helping lots of single women preserve their fertility and couples to have more options.
In estimation, 300,000 to 500,000 successful live births have been the result of frozen oocyte transfers performed all throughout history.
Who would benefit from egg freezing?
- Women with career and educational plans – To make sure women have access to healthier eggs later in their lives after pursuing their educational degrees or climbing the career ladder, they can undergo oocyte cryopreservation.
- Women with personal reasons – May it be wanting to have a child in the future or looking for the right person to be with, freezing your eggs presents you more options for your future. This will enable you to utilize your healthier eggs when the right time finally comes.
- Women who will undergo cancer treatments – Since cancer relies on treatments that might affect the fertility of a woman such as chemotherapy, undergoing egg freezing will help them bear children through IVF in the future.
- Women with health concerns – There are various health concerns that may contribute to a woman’s fertility. This includes endometriosis, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids and polyps, and structural defects in the female reproductive system. Oocyte freezing will help women in the hopes of bearing a child in the future.
Why you should freeze your eggs
- Women have a limited amount of eggs – Due to the finite amount of eggs in a woman’s ovarian reserve, the produced eggs decrease as time goes by. Egg freezing will lessen a woman’s fertility anxiety since she has the eggs ready for fertilization once she is ready to undergo assisted reproductive treatments like in-vitro fertilization.
- A woman’s egg quality lowers over time – Egg freezing will allow you to guard your fertility chances through oocyte preservation treatments during your 20s or 30s. According to scientific reports, the likelihood of having chromosomal abnormalities and miscarriages is directly correlated with age.
Before going through the process of freezing your eggs, you need to make sure that you are ready, and more importantly, have the right fertility center to assist you. If you are located in the Philippines, you can pay the most trusted IVF treatment in Davao City that offers oocyte and sperm preservation as well as fertility counseling for couples.